Seats are filling for our September 29 seminar. Please click to reserve your seat If you would like to attend.

Suspending Our Students: New Connecticut Law and Schools' Responsibilities

With new state law effective July 1, 2015, out-of-school suspensions are banned for young children up to second grade. This law gets us focused on addressing underlying learning, behavioral and mental health issues. Schools need to address these issues to make way for better outcomes for children and youth throughout their school careers. Our schools, however, face a new set of challenges.

1. What this mean for schools.

2. How this affects young children and their families.

3. What supports are needed to help children with behavioral health issues.

4. How the law affects teachers in the classroom.

5. What happens when older children are suspended or expelled.

Register Now

Sep 29, 2015     8:30 am - 10:30 am

UConn Law School, 65 Elizabeth St, Hartford, CT
William R. Davis Courtroom,
Starr Hall, 2nd Floor

Panel

http://d9hhrg4mnvzow.cloudfront.net/unbouncepages.com/suspensionseminar-1/b1001cf8-kmeyersq2_01m01o01m01o000000.jpg

Kathryn Scheinberg Meyer, JD  Staff Attorney, Center for Children's Advocacy

Creating Law to Prevent Out of School Suspension of Young Children

 http://d9hhrg4mnvzow.cloudfront.net/unbouncepages.com/suspensionseminar-1/f650c584-penny-spencer-sq_01o01m01n01l000000.jpg

Andrea Spencer, PhD  Educational Consultant, Center for Children's Advocacy
Importance of Early Identification of Behavioral and Mental Health Issues

 http://d9hhrg4mnvzow.cloudfront.net/unbouncepages.com/suspensionseminar-1/49cad677-charlenerussell-tucker_01n01o01n01o000000.jpg

Charlene Russell-Tucker, Chief Operating Officer, State Department of Education
Guidance on Alternatives to Expulsion and Out of School Suspension

http://d9hhrg4mnvzow.cloudfront.net/unbouncepages.com/suspensionseminar-1/9b4c6133-wgilliamsq2_01r01s01q01s000000.jpg

Walter Gilliam, PhD  Yale Child Study Center

Reviewing National Studies and Federal Efforts to Reduce Suspensions

 http://d9hhrg4mnvzow.cloudfront.net/unbouncepages.com/suspensionseminar-1/b415c505-ebicio_01n01s01n01s000000.jpg

Elizabeth Bicio, LCSW  Director, Early Childhood Consultation Partnership

Early Childhood Mental Health Services, Classroom Management for Teachers

Sign up today to save your seat!