Sorry for Cross Postings

Dear educators:

The National Geospatial Technology Center of Excellence (GeoTech Center) maintains a National Database for GIST and Geospatial Technology (Syllabi Repository) in which geospatial syllabi have been submitted by college and university professors. It is located here: http://www.geotechcenter.org/download-syllabi-repository.html The GeoTech Center posts your institution’s official logo and your un-edited syllabi on that webpage. Instructions for submitting your syllabi are included on that page.

By posting submitted un-edited syllabi, it is not an endorsement by the GeoTech Center of any institution nor the quality of any course or syllabus. It is simply a Repository for others to use and observe as they see fit. The webpage is free and open to the public and supported by a National Science Foundation Grant (DUE 1304591).

Our analytics indicate a tremendous amount of hits on that site and we look to increase its visibility in the future. We encourage you to add to that Syllabi Repository for several reasons: 1) your institution and course receive “free” marketing and exposure to others, 2) the posting of geospatial repository helps the GeoTech Center to know what is being taught at the college level in terms of geospatial coursework, to be used as a guide for all institutions on a national basis, and 3) the work will begin to create articulations for introductory geospatial coursework from two- to four-year institutions in the future. We hope this will make further connections in the geospatial education community.

To add to this database, we are now accepting syllabi from secondary educators in how they are teaching geospatial concepts in their high school classrooms. There will be a distinct database developed by the GeoTech Center for high school syllabi that contain geospatial concepts and instruction. Whether this is from an AP Human Geography course, or simply a course in which significant geospatial content is included, the GeoTech Center would like to have your syllabi proudly displayed on our growing database. This will also help the current efforts by a committee that is creating a proposal for an AP GIS&T course to the College Board.

If there are questions regarding the GeoTech Center Syllabi Repository, please contact Dr. Rich Schultz at [log in to unmask]

Thanks for helping the geospatial education community and we look forward to seeing your geospatial syllabi soon!

Rich Schultz

Associate Director and co-PI, GeoTech Center

Thomas R. Mueller, Ph.D., GISP
Advisor: Geography Major with GIS and Emergency Management Concentration
Co - Director: Pennsylvania View
Department of Earth Sciences, California University of Pennsylvania

"A man never gets to this station in life without being helped, aided, shoved, pushed and prodded to do better." - Johnny Unitas