Hello,

We recently acquired LiDAR data and were able to derive DEM’s from the data. I have just completed a round of creating 1ft and 2ft contours from the DEM’s and have been reading up on “smoothing” the contour lines and there appears to be a fair amount of ambiguity

regarding this subject. I am currently considering maintaining two sets of contours for each contour interval (one set will not be smoothed) and the other set smoothed using a PAEK interpolation of twenty feet. Is anyone aware of any standards that address this topic

or is this something that is largely subjective based on map scale, purpose of the data, etc?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric Rizzo

GIS Administrator