This afternoon we have an Analysis and Probability seminar, back at its regular time.  Giulio Tiozzo (Yale) will speak about random walks in hyperbolic spaces (title and abstract below).

Seminar Time & Location: 3:15pm in MSB 109A

Title: Random walks in hyperbolic spaces

Abstract: Let us consider a group of isometries of a delta-hyperbolic space X, which is not necessarily proper (e.g. it could be a locally infinite graph). We can define a random walk on the graph by picking random produtcs of its elements and projecting the sample path to X.  We show that such a random walk converges almost surely to the Gromov boundary of X with positive speed.  We will discuss applications of these techniques to geometric group theory (the mapping class group and Out(F_n)) as well as to complex analysis (the Cremona group).  This is joint work with J. Maher.

Current & Upcoming Seminar Talks

        October 9 - Giulio Tiozzo (Yale)
       October 16 - Kyle Kinneberg (Rice)
       October 23 - Behrang Forghani (UConn)
       October 30 - Bumsik Kim (UConn)
      November 6 - Konstantinos Tsougkas (Uppsala)
To be scheduled - Joe Chen (UConn)
--
Dr. Matthew Badger ([log in to unmask])
Assistant Professor of Mathematics