Please join us for GIS Day!

There will be a NEURISA Happy Mappy Hour at Willimantic Brewing Company following GIS Day activities!

3:30 PM

Willimantic Brewing Company

967 Main St, Willimantic, CT 06226

Let us know if you are attending by completing a quick (1 question) survey:

http://goo.gl/forms/vb8U4T37mI

GIS Day is a FREE event! Parking and Breakfast included!

WHEN:

Wednesday November 18, 2015

8:30am-3pm

WHERE:

Eastern CT State University – J. Eugene Smith Library Room 204

Willimantic, CT

Visitors must park in Cervantes Parking Garage only unless they have a handicap sticker (they can park in any handicap spot on campus).

http://www1.easternct.edu/map/files/2013/08/CampusMap2014.pdf

Breakfast will be provided, lunch will be on your own

WHAT :

POSTERSWe need your posters! We will be hanging posters in the J. Eugene Smith Library and uploading digital poster submissions to the CT User to User website this year.  If you would like to submit a poster please email me ([log in to unmask]) your digital submission.

Posters that will be on display will be mounted on cork boards and can be no bigger than 48”x72”.  We will have thumb tacks to mount them so there is no need to mount them on foam core.   Please email me, or anyone in the CT GIS User to User group, to coordinate the drop-off of a poster

Information is posted on the CT GIS User Network page and will be updated as we get more information on presentations, and other need to knows prior to the event.

8:30 - 9:15        Breakfast, Networking, and Vendors

9:15 - 9:30        Welcoming Remarks

9:30 - 10:00      Open Data: What It Is And Why It Matters - Tyler Kleykamp (Chief Data Officer, State of Connecticut, Office of Policy & Management)

“Open Data” has become a popular term within the GIS community. This talk will provide a broad overview of the Open Data, the impact that it is having, and what this means to the GIS Community.

10:00 - 10:30    UAVs and GIS Support for Project Management - Steve Santovasi (Geospatial Services Department Manager, New England Regional Office at Burns & McDonnell)

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) are a cost effective method used by Burns & McDonnell to streamline workflows and reduce costs for monitoring and gathering data.  This presentation will discuss how UAVs, mobile field data collection, high accuracy ground control, and a GIS project dashboard provide a full transparent view of all aspects of the project including planning, permitting, construction, as-built, operations, and maintenance.

10:30 - 10:45    BREAK

10:45-11:15      The Making of a Story Map: Connecticut’s Changing Landscape - Emily Wilson (University of Connecticut)

This presentation will focus on CLEAR’s new award-winning story map which highlights the results of 25 years of land cover and land cover change in Connecticut. It will showcase the story map and go into detail about how it was created.  This map is available at http://clear3.uconn.edu/viewers/ctstory/.

11:15-11:45      Community Clinical Linkages and the Governor’s Open Data Portal: A Win:Win:Win - Susan Yurasevecz (Department of Public Health)

This presentation focuses on funding initiatives in Connecticut requiring the development of a searchable statewide Community Scan resource with geographic representation for the end-user and how the Governor’s Open Data Portal provides a no-cost solution that will meet the needs of Connecticut’s Early Detection and Prevention Program (CEDPP).

11:45 - 1:00      LUNCH (on your own)

1:00 - 1:30        Tips & Tricks - Aaron Nash (GIS Project Leader at City of Hartford), Mark Hoover (Connecticut Metropolitan Council of Governments), and Steven Birney (GIS Analyst City of Norwalk)

Experts will each provide a 10 minute demonstration and/or discussion on tips & tricks which include Data Driven Pages and Attribute Assistant.  Mark Hoover will provide a quick overview and demonstration of the Attribute Assistant add-in which is a free tool that can speed up editing and improve data integrity.  Steven Birney will demonstrate the configuration and viewing of an Automatic Vehicle Location system using ESRI GeoEvent Processor and ArcGIS Online.

1:30 - 2:00        ArcGIS App Tour - Josh Williams (ESRI Representative)

ArcGIS users in a wide range of organizations are gaining efficiencies and reaching new audiences by leveraging their ArcGIS portal (powered by ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS) to quickly and easily share maps and apps that enlighten, empower, and engage. In this session, we will take a brief tour of the growing collection of ArcGIS apps that your organization can use to “get the map out” to your colleagues, collaborators, and constituents. Join us to learn about new features available in the apps you already know, and also to take a look at some new apps we’re building for you in the Esri Labs.

2:00 - 2:15        BREAK

2:15 - 2:45        Exploring Topobathy LiDAR - Erica Tefft (Environmental Data Center, University of Rhode Island)

This presentation will begin with a brief introduction to what LiDAR, and more specifically topobathy LiDAR is, some online resources that can be used to access downloadable data, and free tools that can be used to work with data once downloaded. I will then conduct a brief demo in ArcGIS of processing topobathy LiDAR to create a high-quality topobathy DEM for Fire Island National Seashore, before highlighting a few modeling applications in which these data can be utilized.

2:45 - 3:15        CT Regional Planning Roundtable Discussion

Steven Birney

GIS Analyst

City of Norwalk

15 South Smith St