"The state is staring in the face of a cost-effective remedy, and their approach has been dismal. They can't say, 'We don't want any more magnets, and we don't want substantially more Open Choice seats,'" said Martha Stone, an attorney for the parents and the executive director of the Center for Children's Advocacy. "They're depriving our kids of an adequate educational opportunity."

"If they keep saying 'no' to everything, then what's their plan? The low participation, it's strong evidence of a lack of a strategic plan," said Douglas, who is retiring in December from CREC.

State leaders contend the incentives are robust enough to lure suburban districts to enroll more minority children from Hartford.

There are three main grants districts receive each year from the state for Open Choice students.  Read story