This is not a GIS question, per se, but it does have to do with a computer on which I'll be running ArcGIS, so I'm reaching out today in hopes of finding a fellow hardware enthusiast in the Portland area who is willing to lend a hand. If you are a keyboard connoisseur, please read on...

Many sailors over the years have admonished me with the bromide that the two happiest days of one's life are the day one buys their first boat, and the day that they sell it. I've found the same is true of Apple products. After initially-high expectations, followed by six disappointing years of use, I'm happy to report that I'll be bringing our iMac to the recycling center this weekend.

One of the (literally) tangible reasons that I'm looking forward to replacing the iMac is to rid my desk of its infernal chiclet keyboard. In its place, I plan to switch back to a decent mechanical model. After spending much of the 80's and 90's on buckling springs, I'm strongly considering a Unicomp. That said, there are many features of the Unicomps that I don't prefer, so the practical alternative is a Cherry MX of some sort.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find keyboards on a showroom floor for comparison purposes. I can test the linear Cherrys on gaming keyboards at the local Best Buy, but haven't found anyone who keeps tactile models in-stock. So, before I take a $100+ shot in the dark:

*         Does anyone in the Portland area have a keyboard with Cherry MX Green (or Blue, or White) or Brown (or Clear, or Gray) switches that they'd be willing to let me take for a test drive?

It would be my pleasure to provide the coffee / beer when we meet. Thanks, in advance.

-Michael

Michael Mannion
Database Consultant | Mannion Geosystems | +1 617.939.9958 | http://www.manniongeo.com<http://www.manniongeo.com/>