You may also find this useful:

Identifying an unknown coordinate system

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//003r00000004000000

Andy

From: Northeast Arc Users Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andy Anderson
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2015 3:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Projection questions

Hi, Jennifer,

Every file of GIS coordinates is written with respect to some projection. That should be determined and set before the data is brought into ArcMap. If a shapefile has no .prj file, then one should be created for it by editing it with ArcCatalog. Here are some instructions:

            http://ats.amherst.edu/software/gis10/mapping_coordinate_data/#DefiningtheSpatialReferenceofaLayer

Once the shapefile has a projection defined, ArcMap can reproject as necessary to the current map view, as defined by the data frame (“Layers”).

— Andy