Andy,

GPS is a great technology, but the bottom line is, if you are looking for
the best level of accuracy (cm), then you cannot operate in trees
(period).  There is no GPS equipment or technology that will allow you to
do that.  In an urban canyon, you may be able to operate more efficiently
if including GLONASS (provides additional satellites, but multipath (signal
reflection off buildings), can and will cause problems that far exceed the
cm level.

Also, the only way to know what level of accuracy or precision you are
getting on any position, is to have an independent occupation to
check/average.  The reobservation needs to be at least two hours later (but
not the same time the next day).  You could make the case that shots taken
in the open are good (maybe true), but any shot taken in a challenging
environment definitely needs a check.

One alternative to trying to take the shot under the tree, is to use one of
the number of offset strategies to create a point that exist within the
data collection software.  One that I like quite a bit is the "extend a
line" method.  Picture this as a scenario:

You want to locate a water shutoff that is under a tree.  You know that the
 GPS will be crap, so you take out your 100' or 200' cloth tape.  Spike one
end at the water shutoff, then extend the tape out into the open away from
the tree and other obstructions.

Take a shot anywhere on the tape, walk toward the water shutoff and take
another shot at some even foot interval.  Then tell the software to create
a point by extending the line that even number of feet.

There are a number of different offset methods.

My other strategy is  to set control points and use a total station.

Hope this helps.
Dan

Daniel J. Martin
Northeast Regional Geodetic Advisor