Hi all,

I am sorry for extending this thread any longer than it already is, but I could not and would not let Stacy’s email close this down.

I think you (Stacy) are as far off base about the NEARC GIS community as you could possibly be.  Far from being a mean and angry community, we are a very tight knit family…  So much so, that, if you have ever attended one of our meetings you would see many of our families with us.  I have personally even brought my father down to introduce him to my extended family (unfortunately there are now members of this family who prefer to see him over me, but that’s a different matter).

The situation that played out in this email string was one where someone not involved in our region (beyond sending these emails in question) got called out for something that we do not like…  unsolicited marketing.  This group is truly a user helping user community. If you have a funny story, a cool thing that you want to show off (either of your making or one that you saw somewhere else), or- most importantly- you have a question, you can ask this group in a non-judgmental environment.

Even at our conferences you would see a vendor area where many vendors from around the country come to join us, but it isn’t the usual high pressure sell that you see at other conferences (I have heard the vendor area for different conferences be called a number of names, my favorite is running the gauntlet).  If you want to stop and talk to a vendor, they’re there for that, if you’d like a give away, take one.

Are there people with shorter fuses on this site who will email quickly, yes, just like some family members.  But if you or anyone else who may get called out on the list attended these meetings, you would see what the real community was about, and most likely one of us would discuss this matter with you over a beer at one of our famous pub crawls.

I have never been on the NEARC board, but truly appreciate everything that the board has done for many years to keep this group truly a user helping user community.  I applaud Brett (the current President of the NEARC board) for posing the question about alternative areas where more in your face marketing belongs.  And in response to that request, I would suggest that if anyone is active in the community, we are relatively aware of who is a blogger, Twitterer, or anything like that (I am none of the above).  If you want to be recognized for your blog, answer some of our questions, and if it is insightful enough, I know I will look you up and see what you are about.  As for Matt’s statement about wanting to start a conversation, if you truly want only to start a conversation, my suggestion would be to drop your blog, and send your post in an email that way we could all respond freely. I think you raise some good points, but in my honest opinion I think you are trying to get people to your site, and that’s it…  Sorry if I am mistaken.

Sorry again for beating this horse till its way past pulp, but I had to defend NEARC.  Can’t wait to see you in May (and I echo Mike Olkin’s statement) and invite all of you from outside the region to what I have long considered the best GIS event of the year!

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Doyle, GISP

www.hilltopnortheast.com