It is all in what you need for a given project.

If zip codes are “boundaries” they can be represented as polygons.

From: Thad Dymkowski [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2016 11:25 AM
To: Scott Sharlow <[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Postal Zip Code Layer

A couple of things to keep in mind are the fact that Zip Codes are not polygons, and therefore do not have boundaries. Zip Codes are lines (delivery routes) or points (Post Offices).  ZCTAs are free, but are only updated every 10 years. Throughout the year, more than 10 percent of ZIP code boundaries undergo some type of change (additions, deletions, or modifications).

Kind regards,

Thad

Thad Dymkowski, GISP

GIS Manager

PRIME3SG: the Technology division of PRIME AE Group, Inc.

55 Capital Blvd. | 2nd Floor | Rocky Hill, Connecticut 06067

P: 860 436 5600 | C: 860 657 6108 | [log in to unmask]

Connecting. Creating. Conserving. Community.

www.prime3sg.com