Dean,

I have been using ArcGIS Pro since beta and am now running ArcGIS Pro 1.2. ArcGIS Pro is a powerful tool however it is still very much a work in progress. I would equate to ArcGIS version 8.1 right now. It is still missing a lot of functionality that makes it impossible to be used as a primary GIS platform. However, that will change. From what I can tell Esri is throwing a lot of develop resources at it.

I am not surprised Esri is now admitting that ArcGIS Pro will eventually take the place of ArcGIS for Desktop. ArcGIS for Desktops 32-bit COM architecture has reached the limits of what it can do. Whereas ArcGIS Pro’s 64 bit .NET architecture opens up whole new worlds of possibilities.  When I first started working with ArcGIS Pro, I predicted that it would be about 3 to 5 years before it took the place of ArcMap and ArcCatalog. I still believe that estimate to be on track.

So here are my answers to your questions:

1.       When have you used ArcGIS Pro instead of ArcMap? When I need to combine 2D and 3D data to produce a map. Anytime I have heavy geoprocessing to do and the tools are available in ArcGIS Pro. ArcGIS Pro is usually much faster thanks to 64 Bit architecture and support of Hyperthreading.

2.       What projects have lent well to the transition? Cartographic and Basic Analysis

3.       Which ones have fallen short? Data updates which require topologies or geometric networks

4.       If you manage or coordinate other GIS staff/users, have you encouraged them to start using Pro? I have encouraged all my staff to start learning ArcGIS Pro and to use it whenever possible. I want them to become proficient with it so we are not caught with our pants down when Esri does pull the plug on ArcMap and ArcCatalog.

Overall I have been very impressed with ArcGIS Pro given the fact that it is still a work in progress. Here are some pros and cons bases on my experiences:

Pros

1.       64 Bit Architecture allows ArcGIS Pro to use as much computing power as I can throw at it. It will use all the RAM and Processor power I have unlike ArcGIS for Desktop

2.       New ribbon interface much more intuitive for new GIS users. More like Word, Excel and other apps they are accustom to using.

3.       Makes use of projects much like ArcView GIS did. So a single project can contain multiple maps, layouts, data connections, locators, styles and so on. No need to have multiple MXD files

4.       Can create 3D maps without an extension within the same application you use for your 2D maps.

5.       Better integration with ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS

6.       Faster Geoprocessing (due to 64 bit architecture)

7.       ArcGIS Pro 1.2 has better rendering and display engine making it faster at redraws

8.       Greater licensing options (Single Use, Concurrent Use, and User based)

9.       Can run side by side with ArcGIS for Desktop on the same computer or be installed completely separate

Cons

1.       A lot of tools and functionality still not supported such as topology and geometric networks. Here is a list of all tools not currently supported - http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/appendices/unavailable-tools.htm.

2.       Requires more computing power to run efficiently

3.       Requires Internet Explorer or Edge to install

4.       As a new product when something doesn’t work as expected it is often hard to determine if it was operator error, a bug or the way it is supposed to work

5.       Existing users will have hard time adjusting to the interface. The logic is often very different compared to ArcMap or ArcCatalog

Here are a couple of recorded webinars I have conducted on ArcGIS Pro which might be helpful if you have not seen it in action:

·         Introducing ArcGIS Pro - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFtjk39J9zk

·         Creating 3D Maps with ArcGIS Pro - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRWE-CXO58s

·         Managing Projects with ArcGIS Pro - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAqDYksykzs

I hope this information is useful. If anyone has any other questions, I would be happy to do my best to answer them.

eGIS Associates, Inc.

[log in to unmask] | www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 21 | 866-304-3864 Fax

Esri Certified Desktop Professional | Esri Certified Enterprise System Design Associate

Order my new book Learning ArcGIS Pro now!

B04578_MockupCover_Normal_