Hi -

I'm interested in best practices for GIS data management for large dynamic projects with multiple data providers, daily project changes, and all the associated data/analysis/mapping derivatives.

There's a lot of good resources out there on developing "a" GIS, designing complex relational databases, project lifecycle management, etc...

But I've never found a good resource on the basics of folder structures, file naming, version tracking for projects that can accumulate thousands of files over the course of a month that in turn populate hundreds of associated mapping products. I've implemented some good systems but am considering making some changes and want to poll this group before I do.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations (particularly any engineering folk!) - maybe shareable company/industry guidelines, recommended experts, books, online resources, etc.

I'll summarize back to the listserv - thanks!

Jane Miller
GIS Manager
PAL
Cultural Resource Management
26 Main Street
Pawtucket, RI 02860

401.728.8780  main
401.728.8784  fax
401.288.6335  direct
508.463.5974  cell
www.palinc.com<http://www.palinc.com/>

NOTICE: This email message and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately reply to the sender and delete the message from your email system. Thank you.