Dear Students and Alumni,
In March 2016 the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) published updates to the F-1 student regulations on OPT that specifically affect the OPT STEM extension eligibility and opportunities for students.  The new rule goes into effect on May 10, 2016.   Accordingly the list of STEM-eligible major CIP codes has been updated too.  The updated list of STEM-eligible CIP codes is available here.<https://www.ice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Document/2016/stem-list.pdf>  Updates to the OPT STEM Extension application process for all new STEM applications are listed below:

1.       STEM extension duration increased to 24 months (previously 17-month extension).

2.       Current non-STEM students may be eligible for STEM extension based on previous STEM degree obtained from an accredited U.S. institution earned within last 10 years

3.       Students are now eligible for two STEM extensions per lifetime (previously limited to one STEM extension).

4.       Students may apply for STEM extension no earlier than 90 days before their OPT expires (previously 120 days).

5.       Student and employer must fill out and submit Form I-983 (Training Plan for STEM OPT Students) to UConn detailing the relationship between the STEM OPT employment, the academic degree earned, and the learning goals of the F-1 student. When reporting a new employer to ISSS, a new Form I-983 must also be submitted.

6.       Student must work for an employer registered with E-Verify program (same as current procedure).

7.       Student must conduct a 12-month and a 24-month final self-evaluation of training progress and employer must review and sign off on the evaluation attesting to its accuracy. Evaluations must be submitted to ISSS.

8.       Student must confirm their name, address and employment information with ISSS every 6 months by submitting the OPT Information Form (same as current procedure).

9.       Employers must provide a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) on the Form I-983.

10.   DHS is permitted to conduct employer site visits to confirm that I-983 goals are being met.

11.   Employers must know that student's compensation must be commensurate to similarly situated U.S. workers.

12.   STEM unemployment time increased to 60 days (150 days total between OPT and STEM periods).

13.   Volunteering is not permitted.

14.   Self-employment is not permitted

15.   Temp agency and contract work will not be eligible.
Form I-983 Information and Sample Form
https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/employers-and-the-form-i-983

If you have an approved 17-month STEM OPT Extension now or if your STEM extension is approved before 05/10/2016, you may choose to keep the 17-month OPT or you may apply for an additional 7 months of OPT for a total of 24 months.  There is a small window from 05/10/2016 - 08/08/2016 to apply for the additional 7 months of OPT.  Students must meet the following eligibility requirements to request the additional 7 months of OPT:

*         You have at least 150 days of STEM OPT remaining on the day USCIS receives your application.

*         USCIS MUST receive your application for additional STEM extension before 08/08/2016.

*         You must pay an additional $380 OPT filing fee.

*         You must submit Form I-983 (Training Plan for STEM OPT Students) to ISSS with your STEM application. Talk to your employer now about the Form I-983 so that you have the form ready to submit with your OPT STEM application.
If you meet these eligibility requirements and want to apply for the additional 7 months OPT STEM extension, please contact your ISSS advisor as soon as possible.  We will publish specific information on how to apply for the additional 7 months of OPT soon!

If you have a pending STEM OPT application on May 10, 2016, you will receive a "Request for Evidence (RFE)" from USCIS requesting an updated I-20 recommending the 24-month OPT STEM benefit.  At this time you will need to submit a Form I-983 (Training Plan for STEM OPT Students) to ISSS. Talk to your employer now about the Form I-983 so that you have the form ready to submit with your OPT STEM application.

ICE Resources
STEM Eligible Majors (CIP Codes)
https://www.ice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Document/2016/stem-list.pdf
Form I-983 Training Plan for STEM OPT Students https://www.ice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Document/2016/I-983.pdf

Instructions for Completing Form I-983 Training Plan for STEM OPT Students

https://www.ice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Document/2016/I-983-instructions.pdf

Study in the States Resources
Study in the States Overview and Tutorial for Form I-983 Training Plan for STEM OPT Students
https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/form-i-983-overview

Study in the States web site: STEM OPT Help Hub
https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/stem-opt-hub

SEVP STEM Extension Overview (including list of eligible fields of study)
https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/stem-opt-extension-overview

Arthur Galinat
Assistant Director
International Student & Scholar Services

UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT
GLOBAL AFFAIRS
2011 HILLSIDE ROAD, U-1083
STORRS, CT 06269-1083
PHONE: 860.486.3855  |  EMAIL: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
http://isss.uconn.edu<http://isss.uconn.edu/>  | www.facebook.com/UConnISSS<http://www.facebook.com/UConnISSS> | Appointments: http://www.advapp.uconn.edu/ > ISSS