Carolin,

The field of UAV-based LiDAR acquisition is still relatively new and the systems are expensive ($100K+).

I found a good resource for potential solutions comes from Phoenix Aerial Systems, who have done an interesting comparison of a number of sensors on the market.  There is a lot of good information on this web site, including accuracy.

http://www.phoenix-aerial.com/information/lidar-comparison/

[http://www.phoenix-aerial.com/themes/phoenix_aerial/assets/images/logo-phoenix-aerial.png]<http://www.phoenix-aerial.com/information/lidar-comparison/>

Phoenix Aerial Systems :: LIDAR Comparison<http://www.phoenix-aerial.com/information/lidar-comparison/>
www.phoenix-aerial.com
Comparison of laser range scanners (LiDARs) This page serves to give an overview of the range scanners we currently offer as part of our mapping solutions.

An alternative to LiDAR for 3D surfaces is using traditional UAV-mounted cameras and Structure from Motion (SfM) techniques.  This approach certainly does not have all the functionality of LiDAR but has its place as a potential solution for capturing 3D surfaces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_from_motion

[http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/DSM_construction_site.jpg/220px-DSM_construction_site.jpg]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_from_motion>

Structure from motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_from_motion>
en.wikipedia.org
Structure from motion (SfM) is a range imaging technique; it refers to the process of estimating three-dimensional structures from two-dimensional image sequences ...

Regards,

Stephen Keen

geoResource Technologies

geoResourceTechnologies.com w 617.583.3735