Dear Colleagues,

As we near the end of the academic year, it is my pleasure to share with you a major milestone in the ongoing expansion and advancement of UConn Health.

On the weekend of May 14, UConn Health's new patient tower will formally open for service, providing 169 private patient rooms on 11 floors, in addition to the emergency department, intensive care unit, the area's only bone marrow transplant unit, operating rooms, and more.

This furthers the mission of putting patients at the center of everything UConn Health does by bringing state-of-the-art technology and care to the heart of Connecticut.

It is also a major component of the state's overall investment in bioscience technology and industry, an initiative that was the catalyst for Jackson Laboratory building a genomics research facility on UConn Health's campus, along with other significant developments.

The new hospital tower is part of our larger plan to expand and reinvigorate UConn Health. In addition, our new Outpatient Pavilion opened last year. Since then, outpatient visits have grown to about 12,000 a month. Next in line are major upgrades for the cardiology and dental clinic spaces, and renovations for the main hospital lobby and academic spaces.

This is an exciting time for UConn Health. And this weekend, you have the opportunity to get an early preview of how it will look.

On Sunday, April 24, from noon to 3 p.m., we are holding an open house for the community at the new hospital tower. Guided walking tours, refreshments, and special surprises will be part of the day. I encourage you to attend, if you are able to. There is no need to RSVP, but visit this website<http://health.uconn.edu/opening> if you have questions.

We are looking forward to seeing you on Sunday, and to the future of medical science and patient care at UConn Health.

Sincerely,

Susan Herbst