From: "Adam Kurowski" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 12:33:28 -0400
Subject: color blind friendly mapping

The Project:

To replace a black and white, paper zoning map that is designed with hatch,
line, and marker symbols with a colored version made with GIS that easy to
keep updated.

The Problem:

One of the main staff members who will use the map is color blind.  The map
would require 10+ colors and the color blind friendly color ramps, can't
handle that many variations in relation to this person's type of color
blind.  I have looked at many resources and they have helped, but the number
of zones and overlays still make the map hard to distinguish for the color
blind person.  I would love to make one all-inclusive product, but that may
not be possible.

The Questions:

1. Does any have experience or advice to help make this municipal zoning map
color blind friendly?
2. Can anyone offer a creative solution, simple or high-tech, that could
help this one staff member access the zoning information in another manner?

2a. Is that an acceptable alternative and is it maintainable?
3. Should I follow the KISS rules and just convert the map to GIS and stick
with a black and white hatch, line, symbol map?

Thanks!  I'll compile and share the results.
Adam

Adam Kurowski, Systems Analyst / Director of GIS
Town of Arlington
730 Massachusetts Ave
Arlington, MA 02476
phone: 781-316-3385