Dear Colleagues,

I write to let you know that Barbara O’Connor recently informed me that she will retire this summer after four years as Chief of Police and Director of Public Safety at UConn, capping a 33-year career in law enforcement.

Chief O’Connor has led UConn’s Division of Public Safety with the highest degree of professionalism, pride and integrity.  She has been a key leader on our campuses and has instituted numerous positive and far-reaching changes over the last four years to ensure the division is a modern, highly-effective agency that can best serve this community.

For myself, and on behalf of our entire university administration: Chief O’Connor has been a pleasure to work with and has impressed all of us with her deep commitment to our university and to the safety, security, and well-being of our entire community.

Barbara began her career as a police officer in Yarmouth, Mass. in 1983, and later served as the Chief of Police at UMass-Amherst from 2001 until 2009, when she became the Executive Director of Public Safety/Chief of Police at Illinois before coming to UConn in 2012.

Though we understand her desire to step down after a career that has spanned more than three decades and three states, we are still sorry to lose a colleague of her great talent and experience.

Deputy Chief Hans Rhynhart has agreed to serve as interim Chief of Police and Director of Public Safety following Chief O’Connor’s departure on June 1.

A 1993 graduate of the university, Deputy Chief Rhynhart has been a sworn officer for 18 years and is a 15-year veteran of the UConn Police Department. He has distinguished himself throughout his service as an exceptionally capable leader and trusted colleague.  Many of you have come to know Hans as he has worked closely with the town of Mansfield, our faculty, staff, and of course our students on issues related to public safety over many years.

Please join me in thanking Chief O’Connor for her outstanding service to the University of Connecticut, and in wishing her well in her retirement.

Sincerely,

Scott A. Jordan

Executive Vice President for Administration & Chief Financial Officer