I’m hoping this is an easy question as the help and the internet haven’t been helpful…

In the past I’ve always stored our imagery on the server and created tiled cached services that ArcGIS Server runs.

My question is: Do I need to keep that imagery on the server when the cached tiles are already there, or can I store them on a local drive that isn’t accessible to everyone else?

I also see that the service indicates the .mxd used to make the service. Can I keep that locally as well?

Although it seems as though all the data needed for the service is contained in the cache, I’m not entirely sure that it’s EVERYTHING, or if that service needs to access the base data or the .mxd at all.

Thanks!

Nicholas A. McNamara, GISP

GIS Coordinator

South Norwalk Electric and Water