Conn. Judicial Branch Announces Closure of Four Court Facilities

Read more: http://www.ctlawtribune.com/id=1202760008724/Conn-Judicial-Branch-Announces-Closure-of-Four-Court-Facilities#ixzz4BaHEEX4G

MICHELLE TUCCITTO SULLO, The Connecticut Law Tribune

June 14, 2016    |

The state Judicial Branch has announced what it is describing as a "first round" of courthouse closures deemed necessary to help account for a $77 million reduction in the court system's budget for the upcoming 2016-17 fiscal year.

Officials have announce the closure of the Judicial District courthouse in Willimantic along with three juvenile court facilities in Danbury, Torrington and Stamford, according to Rhonda Stearley-Hebert, a Judicial Branch spokeswoman. Officials noted that the Stamford Judicial District courthouse on Hoyt Street in Stamford, where the juvenile court is located, will remain open, and all other court business will continue to be heard.

The current plan is for juvenile cases from Danbury to be transferred to Bridgeport and Waterbury. Juvenile cases from Torrington will be transferred to Waterbury and New Britain. Stamford juvenile matters will be handled in Bridgeport. Cases handled at the Willimantic courthouse will be heard at the Putnam Judicial District Courthouse or the Geographical Area Courthouse No. 11 in Danielson.

This first round of courthouse closures is expected to be completed by the end of the calendar year.

Chief Court Administrator Patrick L. Carroll III called it "unfortunate" the courthouse closings must occur.

"They will be disruptive and will impact many people," Carroll said in a statement. "I want to stress that the closure of courthouses is not driven by savings generated by closing the facilities. Rather, these closings are required because of the loss of staff, through attrition, a strict hiring freeze and layoffs that have already been announced.

"However, we are doing the best that we can to position the Judicial Branch so that we can continue to meet the needs of the people we serve, despite significantly fewer resources," Carroll added.

Earlier this month, the Judicial Branch announced a strict hiring freeze and attrition plan. In May, court officials indicated layoff notices had gone out to 239 permanent employees and 61 temporary employees, for a total of 300 existing jobs. Those layoffs will be effective in late June.

According to Stearley-Hebert, between the 300 layoffs, and the hiring freeze and attrition plan, there will be about 500 fewer branch employees as the next fiscal year progresses.

William Clendenan, president of the Connecticut Bar Association, said while the court house closings were expected, the announcement is "the start of a process."

"Reducing citizen access to the judicial system by closing courthouses harms everyone, especially the poor," Clendenan said. "The Connecticut Bar Association believes that access to the courts is a fundamental right, critical to preserving the Rule of Law. We will continue our ongoing dialogue with lawmakers to determine whether there is a better way to achieve necessary costs savings, reverse these decisions, and keep open as many courthouses as possible."

Check www.ctlawtribune for further updates.

Read more: http://www.ctlawtribune.com/id=1202760008724/Conn-Judicial-Branch-Announces-Closure-of-Four-Court-Facilities#ixzz4BaH9kmV6