Hi Margaret,

I would recommend to have a look at Data InterOperability Extension or Feature Manipulation Engine by Safe Software.
It will allow you to read CAD/LIDAR/GIS data and integrate them into GIS format(s).

The webinar/slideshow below provides some overview of DataInterOp or FME functionality regarding Lidar/PointClouds:

http://www.safe.com/webinar/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-lidar-data/

You can download and try the software + workflows here (I think it’s 30 day trial):
http://www.safe.com/support/support-resources/fme-downloads/

Kind regards,
Alexander