James,

It really depends on how many documents you're talking about. But.....

In the past, I had used a table (so that it would be easy to change the
file location in the even of a data migration) to link to the documents
called out spatially via a polygon. So basically, join on that table to
pick up the file location. You can do this just the same without
georeferencing if your asset management system has an excellent search
tool. The added benefit of using a table (access is nice) would be that you
can add search identifiers and the like, consumed perhaps from existing
data.

This was a successful method in the Flex environment as well as html5
utilizing geocortex. This also worked in Vueworks, which is a pretty clunky
asset management system.

I would advise doing the bulk of your work in ArcMap. If you want to
spatially reference your documents, you can get clever geoprocessing to
find things a "home" in a near automated process. Besides, it's easier to
go with what you know and then transition to what you don't know so
well. Just make sure you set everything up with your needs and capabilities
in mind. It really all boils down to the capabilities of your asset
management system, what type of data it can see (joins, views your database
admin might set up for you to consume, etc.). In the end, I think this
route lends to greater flexibility as it puts the ball in your court, so to
speak, and shouldn't limit your capabilities down the line.

Good luck!

Michael Ray

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-ray-3760b761