Despite Law, Many Young Children Still Suspended

Kathleen Megan, Hartford Courant, July 17, 2016

A year after a new law designed to clamp down on the use of out-of-school suspension, a preliminary review of four of the state's biggest cities shows suspension is down, but continues at an alarmingly high rate . . .

Kathryn Meyer, a lawyer with the Center for Children's Advocacy, who assists students who are being suspended in the Fairfield County area, said that since the new law took effect, "I don't see a lot of change. I think teachers don't feel supported in terms of alternatives to suspensions. ... They are taking something away that they saw as a tool and they don't know what to replace it with."

Meyer said the real suspension numbers are even higher because often schools ask parents or grandparents to pick up a misbehaving child early, but don't record the incident as a suspension.

read story<http://www.kidscounsel.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/courant-suspensions-7-17-16.pdf>

Bonnie Berk
Communications Director
860-570-5327