Hartford Courant, July 21, 2016

By Josh Konover

The state's child-protection agency has been struggling with its mandate from the governor to close the state's 16-year-old juvenile jail in Middletown, a $50-million-a-year, high-security compound that was built with 250 cells.  The state has never filled it to capacity. There are now about 48 boys confined there.

Officials with the Department of Children and Families told the juvenile justice council Thursday that they will have a final report to the panel by Sept. 15 on the replacement of the Connecticut Juvenile Training School ….

"When will we get the plan?" asked Martha Stone, a UConn law professor and founder of the Center for Children's Advocacy in Hartford. "We do keep coming to these meetings … We need a date and a time so we can move ahead, and not just have a promise that it will close, but some faith that it actually will."

Find the full article at:
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-dcf-juvenile-jail-0721-20160721-story.html

Marisa Mascolo Halm, J.D.

Director, TeamChild Juvenile Justice Project

Center for Childrens Advocacy

211 State Street, Bridgeport, CT 06604  (203)335-0719

2074 Park Street, Hartford, CT 06105   (860)570-5327

Mailing address: 65 Elizabeth Street, Hartford, CT 06105

Fax: (860) 570-5256

Email: [log in to unmask]

logo

This message is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and return the original to us at the above address by mail. Thank you.