A numbering system that work well is to generate *x & y coordinates* from
the centroid of each feature. (eg a storm grate)

Summing the x and y coordinates will create a Unique ID that then can
be *spatially
sorted* in a table.

I truncate the the sum at 5 digits to keep each ID unique, which works well
for the for closely spaced points at complicated street intersections in
New York City.

example:

centroid of x = 1008434.98245795    and   centroid of y = 218626.178611025

Rough ID Sum
1008434.98245795 + 218626.178611025 = 1227061.16106898

Round out to 5 digits and remove the decimal point

Final Asset Management ID becomes *122706116107*

You can then add a Text ID version in a new column - eg: SG-122706116107 if
you need to distinguish infrastructure point types.

This xy sum allows you to select out logical north to south sequences of
stormwater grates along a particular street in sequence.

Big advantage of this system: *whenever you add a new feature, the new XY
sum ID will be in logical sequence to the ones you had already created.*

Eymund