Hi, Deborah,

Clustering at one end is what happens when there is a street but not an address match.

You said this was early twentieth century; in 1909 many of the streets were renumbered. Many years ago I located my grandmother’s home in 1900 by using tables in books from the City of Chicago archives. A cursory search for “chicago street renumbering” found this document that includes the renumbering guide:

http://livinghistoryofillinois.com/pdf_files/Chicago%20Street%20Renumbering%201909.pdf

Perhaps this will help explain what you are finding?

— Andy