Just wanted to say thank you to all who responded to my geocoding query.  The suggestion to create a new address locator based on local street centerline data did the trick.  The City of Chicago did have a file of street centerlines (deprecated as of 2013, but good enough for me) and I learned a lot about address locator options, tips and tricks (as in, if you don't have zip codes, you can set the option to "match without zonal attributes" to Yes, but it also helps to just add a column called ZIP and leave it empty -- thank you, Geonet).  Now I have an app in AGOL with points that are pretty much in front of the right buildings.

And yes, the city did renumber its streets in 1909, but since my data was either 1912 (Sanborn maps) or later (census data), this did not affect me, fortunately.  I do wonder how they managed to pass an ordinance in 1908 that went into effect in 1909; there's an interesting history project.

Thanks again and Happy Friday, everyone!

Deborah Reichler
Hamilton College