From my private sector perspective, we should also keep in mind general IT knowledge and capabilities, and troubleshooting skills.  I agree with the statements so far – don’t forget that the infrastructure on which this software sits is getting more complex, presentation apps are getting more complex, and understanding of that is important.  I look for these other IT skills in addition to geo knowledge when I interview geo candidates.

Jen

Jennifer Vasi | Information Systems Director | EBIA Technology – Geospatial

Travelers

1 Tower Square | PB01-111

Hartford, CT  06183

W: 860.277.2080   M: 919.491.8705

cid:<a href=[log in to unmask]">

From: Northeast Arc Users Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jarlath P.M. O'Neil-Dunne
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 10:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: GIS user data

Learning a major software package may open you up to more jobs, but being good with an obscure package might make you a top candidate for the job you really want. ArcGIS may land you 30 job interviews, but get you no jobs whereas having experience with some rather obscure lidar package will get you one interview and the job.

The most important thing I instill in my students is my general brilliance in the field of geospatial technology. I want them to leave my class thinking “I may not have learned anything, but Jarlath is a genius.” (sarcasm)

--

Jarlath O’Neil-Dunne

University of Vermont | Spatial Analysis Lab

Twitter: @jarlathond