Good afternoon everyone,

I am working on a project and could use some help. I have a line shapefile
that I need to buffer. The trick is that I, ultimately, need the buffer to
be exactly the width and length of a roads polygon layer, so that we can
tabulate the area of road work that has been completed .

Of course, I can buffer the line by a distance, say 10 feet, and the result
is a polygon 10' wide and the length of the line feature.

I then need to go in and manually edit the vertices, adding new vertices as
needed, to snap the buffered polygon to the exact dimensions of the roads
polygon layer.

*Does anyone know a way to tell the buffer tool to buffer to the dimensions
of the road polygon, instead of a set distance?*

I know that I can go in and change the buffer distance for each polygon,
but with the varying dimensions for the roads poly, there is too much
variability.

I am really trying to find a quicker way to perform this work, without
digitizing each piece of road poly that I need.

Thank you all,

Jay

This list (CTGIS-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all CT GIS
Users.

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove
yourself by going to http://listserv.uconn.edu/ctgis-l.html