Imagining a World Where No Child Goes to Prison

By Abby Anderson

Op-Ed from CT News Junkie

November 7, 2016

“We are going to close the Connecticut Juvenile Training School (CJTS), and that is going to say a lot about our state….

…Some youth do need to be in a locked facility for public safety’s sake. But it need not be a prison….

Massachusetts houses youth who pose a risk to public safety in small, more home-like secure facilities, where they learn to be responsible members of a community. DCF’s plan calls for the creation for one or more of these small secure facilities. It is possible, however, that the number of youth requiring locked beds is so small that existing non-profit providers could meet the need more affordably.  That is how Connecticut already serves the most complex girls in the juvenile justice system. It is time to explore the same strategy for boys. A data driven analysis of the youth in our system must be done to determine how many truly need to be in secure settings.”

Read Abby’s full Op-Ed online here:

http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/archives/entry/op-ed_imagining_a_world_where_no_child_goes_to_prison

Marisa Mascolo Halm, Esq.

Director, TeamChild Juvenile Justice Project

logo

Hartford . Bridgeport . New Haven

Mailing address: 65 Elizabeth Street, Hartford, CT 06105

Phone:  860-570-5327 ext. 228

Cell:  860-566-0764 Fax: 860-570-5256

Email: [log in to unmask]

This message is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and return the original to us at the above address by mail. Thank you.