Many, many students use Gmail or other accounts rather than use their school-supplied one. So that is not at all suspicious.

They aren’t asking for account information, so I don’t think it’s a phishing attempt, rather it’s just a poorly placed request for assistance. Since the NEArc list comes out of UConn, they may have sent it to many of these lists, thinking they will contact many UConn people.

So, possibly spam, but not phish.

— Andy