Dear International Students and Scholars,

Details of U.S. President Trump's executive order signed on Friday contain several measures that directly affect international students and scholars in the United States.  ISSS is deeply troubled by the executive order. We care about you and your well-being, and we are here to support you. It is very uncertain at this time how this and other executive orders will actually play out, and there are legal developments taking place, which could impact the outcomes. ISSS advising on the topic may change as more information comes in.

We encourage students to reach out to ISSS advising staff with questions. ISSS will hold two events at our center in Storrs that may be of interest to students:

International Chat  - Tuesday, 3-4 pm International chat is a weekly event where students can come together with UConn staff to discuss life in the U.S., current events, tips for living abroad, etc. This week, students who want to talk or listen about the recent events are encouraged to attend. Spouses and other dependents are also welcome.

Information Session on Executive Order – Wednesday, 12 – 1 pm This session will go over the details of the order, and how affected students can plan for these changes.

Students and scholars should note two main parts of the order:

1)      Entry to the U.S. and visa issuance will be restricted for individuals from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen for 90 days while the government reviews the visa approval process and related security measures. Students, scholars and their accompanying dependents from these countries should not travel for the time being, as you may not be able to reenter the US. This includes dual citizens who hold passports from one of the seven designated countries, as well as a non-designated country, even if you plan to travel on the passport of the non-designated country. If you must travel, we encourage you to consult with an Immigration Attorney before traveling: http://www.ailalawyer.com/  If you are from one of the seven designated countries and are currently outside the United States, please email [log in to unmask] with your details. If you are on a visa that is not sponsored by UConn (e.g. not F or J), then an immigration attorney can best advise you on these matters.

2) The order eliminates the Visa Interview Waiver Program, which allowed certain eligible visa applicants to waive the consular interview for visa renewals. This is a different program than the Visa Waiver Program, which allows nationals of certain designated countries to travel to the U.S. for up to 90 days for tourism purposes without a visa. With the elimination of this program, and in the current climate, students and scholars should expect longer visa processing times and should plan accordingly.

Note on visa revocations: Several U.S. schools have reported patterns of students having their visas revoked, including students from countries not listed in the order. The students were notified of the visa revocation through an email sent from the U.S. consulate overseas that issued the visa. Out of an abundance of caution, we would encourage students and scholars to monitor your email inbox, and if you receive any communication from a Nonimmigrant Visa Division overseas, to please notify ISSS. A visa revocation means that the visa stamp in your passport is no longer valid for use, and if you depart the U.S. you must apply for a new visa. It does not mean that you are required to depart the U.S.

Thank you and please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We will continue to update you as we learn more information.

Rae Alexander
Director

International Student and Scholar Services

UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT

GLOBAL AFFAIRS

2011 Hillside Road, U-1083
STORRS, CT 06269-1083
PHONE: 860.486.3855
EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
http://isss.uconn.edu
www.facebook.com/UConnISSS | ISSS Walk-In Advising:
MON: 1  - 3:30 pm TUES: 9 - 11:30 am WED: 9  - 11:30 am THURS: 9  - 11:30 am FRI: 1  - 3:30 pm