Dear Colleagues,

The leaders of UConn’s collective bargaining units have let the university know that they have organized a “Day of Action for Higher Education” at the State Capitol on Thursday, January 26 between 9:00am and 4:30pm. The purpose of the event is to advocate for “excellence in public higher education” – a cause that UConn is proud to support.

The university has received questions regarding the ability of our employees in these collective bargaining units to participate in the event.

Contractual language allows union representatives a certain amount of release time to conduct union business, and they are free to utilize that time to participate in this event, if so desired. Members of all unions may utilize personal, leave time, or vacation time to attend. Members of UCPEA may use “flex time” with their supervisor’s approval to attend this event or a portion of it, or may also utilize accrued compensatory time.  Unrepresented employees should follow the same guidelines and work with their supervisors to ensure coverage if they attend the event.

I encourage all supervisors to be flexible and accommodating in working with employees who seek to use their time in order to attend this event, while at the same time ensuring appropriate coverage for offices and UConn’s business operations. This would be expected at all times, even absent this event.

We are grateful that these collective bargaining units and their members are working hard to support public higher education in Connecticut.

Questions can be directed to UConn’s Office of Labor Relations at 860-486-5684.

Sincerely,

Susan Herbst