Dear Colleagues,

I write to inform you that Sally Reis recently let me know that she plans to step down as Vice Provost for Academic Affairs at the end of this semester, and will return to our faculty.

Sally’s contributions to the University of Connecticut have been nothing short of extraordinary. The positive impact she has had on our faculty, our students, and the institution as a whole is both profound and far-reaching.

She has served as Vice Provost for the last six years, holds the Letitia Neag Morgan Chair in Educational Psychology, and is a Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor and University Teaching Fellow. She is a national leader in her field and is highly-respected throughout the university and in education policy circles across the state of Connecticut, and the country. She also served as President of the National Association for Gifted Children and is a fellow of the American Psychological Association.

Sally first came to UConn as a research professor in 1985 and became an assistant professor in 1988. With her substantial academic and professional credentials and great talents, she could have chosen to spend her career at any number of institutions across the nation. We are incredibly fortunate and grateful that she chose to spend her career at UConn.

As Vice Provost, she worked closely with her colleagues to:

·         Expand and rename CETL with expanded services for teaching enhancement and improvement

·         Create the Idea Grants program for undergraduate research/creative projects

·         Expand the Academic Achievement Center in the Institute for Student Success

·         Bring the First Star Program for foster students to UConn

·         Expand the Honors program with STEM Scholars in the Next Generation Connecticut plan

·         Reorganize the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness

·         Draft the Academic Plan/Vision

·         Place Living and Learning Communities in NextGen Hall

·         Integrate the Center for Career Development into Academic Affairs

·         Recruit the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity from Yale to UConn

·         Lead the successful NEASC accreditation process

These are only a select few of her achievements.

Sally’s work has unquestionably had a major impact on the university. But more important than that is the positive impact she has had on people; generations of students, teachers, families, and colleagues have benefited enormously from her work and her devotion to them.

Though her career continues as a faculty member, we are nonetheless deeply sorry to lose her skills and talents as a senior leader here at the university.

Like so many of her colleagues, I am grateful not only for Sally’s hard work and immense contributions to UConn, but also for her wise counsel and friendship.

Please join me in thanking Sally for all she has done for UConn, and in wishing her all the best in the years ahead.

Sincerely,

Susan Herbst