I probably should have sent this question out before...

We are sharing ArcMap files with two users in a small office.  We tried accessing the files on my PC over the network but it was too slow - particularly with directories with lots of layer files.

We don't have a server but we set up a shared network drive (Synolgy DS416) and it helped but not as much as we would like.  Is there a way to index layer directories in ArcMap to speed up file access?  We still don't really use geodatabases yet, is that a possible solution for directories with lots of layer files?

If someone could point me to documentation that would help solve the problem it would be very much appreciated.

Dan

Daniel Kern
Executive Director
Bear-Paw Regional Greenways