From: Bear-Paw Regional Greenways
Sent: Monday, February 6, 8:12 AM
Subject: Shared Drive and ArcMap
To: Northeast Arc Users Group

I probably should have sent this question out before...

We are sharing ArcMap files with two users in a small office.  We tried accessing the files on my PC over the network but it was too slow - particularly with directories with lots of layer files.

We don't have a server but we set up a shared network drive (Synolgy DS416) and it helped but not as much as we would like.  Is there a way to index layer directories in ArcMap to speed up file access?  We still don't really use geodatabases yet, is that a possible solution for directories with lots of layer files?

If someone could point me to documentation that would help solve the problem it would be very much appreciated.

Dan

Daniel Kern

Executive Director

Bear-Paw Regional Greenways

Post Office Box 19

63 Nottingham Road

Deerfield, NH 03037

603-463-9400 / [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Make an online contribution and become a member of Bear-Paw today!<http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=R82HUHNPLR74W>