Good Morning Arc Users,

I’d like to optimize the # of instances setting for the CachingTools service. ArcGIS Help says, “A good starting point is to allow a maximum of n + 1 instances, where n is the number of CPU cores on a single machine in your cluster.”

I have two questions. Is that the number of cores you have licensed by Server? So if I have a 4-core license, should I set that to 5 to start? I have more cores than that, so I can go higher.

If I can set that higher, I have two Xeon 6-core processors in the machine. A Xeon has double the amount of logical processors, so each has 6 cores and 12 logical processors. Can I set that “n” to be the total number of logical processors or would it be limited to the # of cores?

I’m not sure if the answer here is 5, 13 (6x2+1) or 25 (12x2+1). There would obviously be a big difference in caching performance and testing and comparing these could tie up my server for a couple weeks.

I appreciate all responses.

Thanks,

Nicholas A. McNamara, GISP
GIS Coordinator
South Norwalk Electric and Water
Phone: (203) 866-4446 ext. 2035

This list (CTGIS-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all CT GIS
Users.

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove
yourself by going to http://listserv.uconn.edu/ctgis-l.html