Dear International Students and Scholars,

Today, U.S. President Trump signed an executive order on immigration to replace the order issued in January, which has been revoked. You may review the full text of the new executive order here. International Student and Scholar Services is working to identify how the new executive order affects the UConn community and to support our international students, scholars and their dependents.  Please review our webpage on the Executive Order for further details and updates as they are received.

ISSS will provide an information session on the new executive order on March 10th, 11 am, at the ISSS Lounge, Brien McMahon Hall.  All are welcome.

International students are vital members of the UConn academic community, with just over 3,300 enrolled international students in the 2016-2017 academic year. Currently, UConn Huskies hail from 100 countries, including Iran, Syria and Libya. In fact, students from Iran comprise our fifth largest international student population. The new executive order may impact students from countries who are subject to the visa/travel ban, as well as all other international students, whose travel experience may change due to additional measures included in the executive order.

The new executive order, which will become effective on March 16, 2017, includes the following measures:

1) 90 day travel/visa issuance ban for citizens of Libya, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen.  Please note that Iraq is no longer on the list of visa/travel ban countries. The new executive order explicitly excludes legal permanent residents from the travel ban, and does not revoke currently valid visas for individuals from the designated countries. However, even if you have a valid visa, ISSS advises against unnecessary travel at this time if you are from one of the six designated countries.

ISSS will continue to issue Forms I-20/DS-2019 for new students and scholars from the impacted countries who have planned arrival dates in summer and fall 2017.

If you are a current/continuing student from a designated country, and are not currently in the United States, please contact ISSS as soon as possible.

2) Suspension of the Visa Interview Waiver Program – in-person interviews will be required for most visa renewals.

3) Visa issuance and information gathering processes will be reviewed for all countries. Within 20 days from the effective date of the executive order, a list of countries identified as not providing sufficient information to issue visas will be produced. These countries will be given 50 days to meet U.S. standards for providing information needed to determine visa eligibility.

4) Visa reciprocity between the U.S. and other countries will be reviewed to ensure that visa terms are indeed reciprocal.

As last time, it may be initially unclear how the new executive order will play out, and we will post new information, government statements and resources to the ISSS Executive Order webpage as they become available.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We have daily walk-in advising hours from 1 to 3:30 pm and you can also reach us by email and phone.  Thank you.

Rae Alexander
Director

International Student and Scholar Services

UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT

GLOBAL AFFAIRS

2011 Hillside Road, U-1083
STORRS, CT 06269-1083
PHONE: 860.486.3855
EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
http://isss.uconn.edu
www.facebook.com/UConnISSS
ISSS Walk-In Advising:
MON - FRI: 1:00  - 3:30 pm

To unsubscribe from the INTERNATIONAL-L list, click the following link:
https://ListServ.Uconn.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=INTERNATIONAL-L&A=1