Hi all,

I received a handful of responses, which was very helpful.  Some folks asked me to post the responses here.  I’ve just copied & pasted the responses into this message – and since the responses themselves weren’t sent to the larger list, I’ve made them anonymous.  I’ve also done a small bit of editing.  Hope I’m not stepping on any toes.

I've done some simple routing and drive time analysis is ArcGIS Online.  You can custom create your own travel mode for the analysis tool to follow based on a variety of criteria.  It is located under My Organization > Edit Settings > Utility Services > Configure Travel Modes.  I custom created a trip planning tool that met some specific criteria of a fire truck, so it is worth a shot exploring how you can customize for the nuances of a bus.  Once you get into the actual analysis you also set the time of minutes or seconds per stop.  The analysis did fairly well, then I still had to review and make edits based on local knowledge.”

I work in transit and do a lot of GIS Analysis for Title VI and other projects. We don’t use any software right now for planning, just Trapeze which is a transit industry program with a minor GIS component. It does not integrate with Esri.”

“OpenStreetMap has a transit model – I’ve coded some local routes. Probably not of much use as the kind of planning tool your transit people would need, but you might be interested in taking a look nevertheless.”

“I was told there is one answer from my friends in the transportation planning and asset management field and they own the market:  Trapeze.”

Transportation agencies use Geocortex to build the app that they need. For example, BART (in California) uses us for much of their operational work and planning.  We can wire up real time data in the viewer as well (not sure if this is what you mean by timing routes).  It is a build-it-yourself type of software (or get some help building it) and deep training, technical support, and service is provided.”

We got a demo from Remix recently that was really flashy. I want to say our transit team thought the solution was very affordable for what they were getting, but I’m not very familiar with the software in that industry. They came out of Code for America.”

Thanks for all the responses!

Sean

Sean Gambrel, GISP

GIS Administrator