Simons Lecture Series

The Department of Mathematics annually presents the Simons Lecture Series to celebrate the most exciting mathematical work by the very best mathematicians of our time. The format of this lecture series has evolved since its inception in 1999, and now includes two weeks of lectures - one in pure mathematics and the other in applied mathematics - given each spring.

We are grateful to our good friend Jim Simons for providing the financial backing of these lectures.

2017 Lectures

Receptions: 4:00pm in room 2-290

April 24-26, 4:30-5:30pm, Room 2-190

Yuval Peres

Microsoft Research

Surprises in Discrete Probability

Lecture 1: Monday, April 24
A fair partition of the sphere and overhanging blocks

Lecture 2: Tuesday, April 25
Strange geometry of high-dimensional spanning forests

Lecture 3: Wednesday, April 26
Mixing time in Ramanujan graphs and random graphs

May 1-3, 4:30-5:30pm, Room 2-190

Martin Hairer

University of Warwick

Singular Stochastic PDEs

Lecture 1: Monday, May 1
Bridging scales: from microscopic dynamics to macroscopic laws

Lecture 2: Tuesday, May 2
An analyst’s incursion into quantum field theory

Lecture 3: Wednesday, May 3
Renormalization: a BPHZ theorem for stochastic PDEs

Contact: [log in to unmask]