Part of URISA's <http://www.urisa.org/main/advocacy/>  mandate is to
protect, promote and grow the GIS profession. That includes monitoring and
reacting to any possible negative impacts to our members' livelihood and the
GIS community in general. This year we have seen an increasing number of
such issues.

The other week, there was an explosion of discussion and concern over
Geospatial Data Act of 2017 (S.1253) which was co-sponsored by Orrin Hatch
(R-UT), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Dean Heller (R-NV) and Mark Warner (D-VA). The
concern is over some of the wording which would appear to define much of the
work we do in GIS as to require a professional license. URISA's Policy
Advisory Committee has been actively debating and developed a position
statement which the Board just approved. Take some time to read through the
full text of the bill along with the URISA Board's position.

*	Full text of Senate Bill S.1253
<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1253/text>

*	URISA's Position
<http://www.urisa.org/clientuploads/directory/Documents/Advocacy/Senate%20Bi
ll%20S1253%20URISA%20Response.pdf>

There will certainly be more discussion on this issue. URISA is monitoring
it very closely. If issues like this concern you, I encourage you to join
URISA if you are not already a member. There is power in numbers. Stay
engaged! Click here <http://www.urisa.org/main/membership/>  to join.

Tripp Corbin, CFM, GISP

President

URISA

 <http://www.urisa.org> www.urisa.org

This list (CTGIS-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all CT GIS
Users.

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove
yourself by going to http://listserv.uconn.edu/ctgis-l.html