To:  The University Community

As many of you know, collective bargaining units at UConn have organized a rally in support of UConn at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford tomorrow, Friday, September 22 at 12:30 pm. In anticipation of large numbers of employees and students attending, union leaders have told members that it would be wise to be prepared to arrive early as congestion will be expected. A number of our unions are engaging buses to support the transportation of their members  - for additional information please contact your respective union.

Our academic leaders have already informed departments and faculty that we have no objection to faculty and academic staff using available time and any state-bargained furlough days to make alternative arrangements for their courses or reschedule their work assignments so that they can participate.  Further, UConn's academic leaders have encouraged departments and PI's to permit graduate students flexibility to make alternative arrangements for their courses or to reschedule their other work assignments so that, they too, can participate, if they so choose.

I also urge all managers to allow their teams to attend as well, if they choose to, but to also of course ensure that core and essential services can be provided on our campuses for the entire day tomorrow. Please allow flexible arrangements, furlough days or accrued time applicable to each type of employee, if the employee wishes to utilize their time.

Scott Jordan

Scott A. Jordan
Executive Vice President for Administration and Chief Financial Officer
University of Connecticut
352 Mansfield Road, Unit 1122
Storrs, CT  06269-1122
(860) 486-3455 O