Sent on behalf of Christopher Delello, Chief Human Resources Officer:

To Employees participating with Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield (“Anthem”):

The University was recently notified by the Office of the State Comptroller (OSC) of the ongoing contract dispute between Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield and Hartford HealthCare Corporation (HHC) that may disrupt health care services and coverage.  If you currently have coverage with Anthem and are a current patient or former patient of an HHC provider, it is important you are aware of how their inability to reach an agreement impacts you. Please see the press release that has been posted on the OSC webpage as of October 2, 2017.

Employees who participate with Anthem should have received a letter to their home address from State Comptroller, Kevin Lembo, urging participants to hold onto bills received from services rendered at HHC providers and facilities, pending the outcome of contract negotiations.  Furthermore, the letter warns of financial risk of bearing the full cost of services received in HHC facilities as they will be considered out-of-network, unless it is for acute care.

Here is some helpful information,

·       OSC has created http://group.anthem.com/HHC for updates, which we encourage our employees covered by Anthem to check periodically for new information.

·       Members may also contact the customer service number on their Anthem membership card.

·       Additionally, HHC has posted frequently asked questions regarding patient care that may be helpful in determining the best course of action for you and your covered dependents during this difficult time.

·       Lastly, we have received confirmation from OSC that members may not change healthcare coverage at this time due to the unresolved contract dispute.

In anticipation of a large volume of calls, if you are unsure of your affiliation please refer to your carrier membership card to determine if you are impacted directly.  We will update the campus community via the Human Resources website once we have received further information and/or direction from OSC. If you have any additional questions, we are here to assist you, please call 860-486-3034 or 860-679-2403.

Sincerely,

Christopher Delello