Dear Colleagues,

Wayne Locust, who has served as our Vice President for Enrollment Planning & Management since 2011, recently let me know that he plans to retire at the end of this academic year after a career that has spanned nearly four decades.

I make this announcement with undisguised consternation; Wayne is without question among the most effective and capable enrollment management leaders in higher education today. There are only a handful of individuals in the nation who are able to match his level of expertise in this field. Wayne’s leadership over the last six years has played a critical role in propelling UConn to our status as the 18th best public university in the United States.

Though his retirement is well-earned, it is a significant loss for UConn and we are incredibly sorry to see him go.

Wayne came to UConn from SUNY-Albany, where he served as Vice Provost for Enrollment Management beginning in 2005. Prior to that, he was the Vice Chancellor for Enrollment and University Life for the SUNY system from 2004 to 2005, and Associate Vice Chancellor from 2001 to 2004.

He served as the Director of Undergraduate Admissions at UConn from 1998 to 2001, and was Associate Director of Admissions and then Director of Admissions at the University of Rochester from 1988 to 1998.

He began his career at West Chester University in 1980.

Wayne will depart UConn in May 2018.

In January, we will begin a national search for this position. I will name the members of this search committee shortly. It is my goal to name a new vice president during the spring semester, to begin in summer 2018.

Please join me in thanking Wayne for his exemplary work on behalf of the university and in wishing him all the best in his retirement.

Sincerely,

Susan Herbst