Sort of off-topic for this thread but related, and possibly an important consideration for the original poster.  What also affects database size and makes syncing cumbersome for me are the many photo attachments associated with the collected points. You mentioned side-loading tile packages, I assume for basemaps.  It's not the first time I've heard of this though I've not tried it.  I assume that you couldn't use a feature class from a side-loaded geodatabase in Collector or other ESRI apps, as they require a feature service shared with a group in AGOL, but I'm wondering if anyone else has found a workaround for syncing datasets with large and/or numerous photo attachments. I'll make a separate post if appropriate.

Neil Curri
GIS Analyst, PVE, LLC
Vassar College Academic Computing Consultant
[log in to unmask] | 845-437-7708 | 845-664-2100 (mobile)