Hi all,

If you were choosing a DBMS for an enterprise geodatabase today, which DBMS would you choose? Which one seems to you to be best supported by Esri (they support 6-8 on paper, but do they have better expertise with some vs others, or shorter lifecycle projections with some vs others)? By third-party consultants? By the DBMS vendor itself (particularly with regard to ArcGIS/spatial issues)? By the community? Have you seen that one performs better than others?

We are implementing a new CMMS (an Oracle or MS SQL Server-based system, in all likelihood) and expect to build a new enterprise geodatabase as part of the project. We know that our own expertise and existing systems will be factors in our choice of DBMS – But I’m curious to hear your take on which ones are the “leaders” in your eyes at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

-Andy

Andy Smith-Petersen
Business System Analyst - GIS