Good afternoon everyone,

I hope things are going well. I just wanted to pass along an issue I just became aware of. AutoCAD 2018 introduced a new version of the AutoCAD DWG file format. This format is the default output for AutoCAD 2018 and 2019 plus all application built on top of AutoCAD including Map 3D and Civil 3D.

It appears that ArcGIS is not able to read this new version of the DWG file format. This includes both ArcMap 10.6 and ArcGIS Pro 2.1. The DWG file can be added to the map as a layer and will appear in the Contents pane (ArcGIS Pro) or Table of Contents (ArcMap) but no data will display in the view.

I am sure Esri is working on fixing this issue. Or maybe they already have an I just don’t have the patch. In the past it has taken between 6 months to a year to get this resolved. In the meantime, there are a couple of options.

  1. First if you have AutoCAD 2018 or 2019, you can use the Saveas command to back save the file to an earlier version.
  2. If you don’t have AutoCAD, you can ask the original creator of the file to back save it for you.
  3. You can download Autodesk TrueView which is free and can convert DWG versions. - https://www.autodesk.com/products/dwg/viewers#

Hope this helps. When we hear anything more on this issue we will let you know.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, GISP | Chief Executive Officer
eGIS Associates, Inc.

[log in to unmask] | www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 0021 | 678-672-8970 Direct Dial

Esri Certified Desktop Professional | Esri Certified Enterprise System Design Associate

Order my new ArcGIS Pro Cookbook now & don’t forget about Learning ArcGIS Pro

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=ind1803&L=NEARC-L&E=base64&P=1166663&B=------%3D_NextPart_000_01B5_01D3C5DC.3AAF4B80&T=image%2Fjpeg;%20name=%22image002.jpg%22&N=image002.jpg

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=ind1803&L=NEARC-L&E=base64&P=1175054&B=------%3D_NextPart_000_01B5_01D3C5DC.3AAF4B80&T=image%2Fjpeg;%20name=%22image004.jpg%22&N=image004.jpg