Dear Colleagues,

I am delighted to announce that I have selected Nathan Fuerst to serve as our next Vice President for Enrollment Planning & Management, following a national search.

Enrollment management is one of the most complex and consequential fields within higher education. Our marketing and recruitment efforts and the successful deployment of our financial aid budget are all key to drawing the exceptional students we seek to enroll. The academic quality and diversity of our incoming classes – as well as their retention and graduation – is essential to our success as an institution and the strength of our reputation, in Connecticut and around the world.

The individual in this position is responsible for all of this, and more.

Many of you know Nathan very well already from his seven years at UConn as Director of Admissions and Assistant Vice President for Enrollment. In that time, he has distinguished himself as a talented enrollment professional with a comprehensive understanding of his field, a strategic thinker, and a campus leader. Those of us who have worked with him have found him to be open, responsive, data-driven, highly analytical, and collaborative – qualities we seek in every colleague. This, combined with his outstanding record of accomplishment at UConn and his vision for the future, make him an ideal choice for this position.

Nathan came to UConn in 2011 from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln where he spent nearly a decade in a variety of increasingly responsible enrollment and admissions positions. He also earned his undergraduate degree and his MBA from Nebraska.

Since coming to UConn, he has worked closely with our outgoing Vice President, Wayne Locust, who is a national leader in this field. Together, along with their terrific team, they have successfully drawn the largest, most academically qualified, and most diverse classes to our campuses in the university’s history.

We look forward to continuing this tradition of excellence in the years to come under Nathan’s leadership.

He will begin in this new role next month, following Wayne’s retirement.

I would like to thank the search committee and its chair, Tysen Kendig, for all their hard work on this search: Rajeev Bansal, Elly Daugherty, Beth Goetz, Erik Hines, Maria Martinez, Colin Mortimer, Annemarie Seifert, and John Volin.

Please join me in congratulating Nathan on this achievement and in wishing him well!

Sincerely,

Susan Herbst