I am interested in learning how other Utilities manage their sewer(or water) laterals in GIS. We are getting ready to start in-house CCTV inspections in a couple of months and I would like to implement some guidelines so we can make sure our lateral inspection data will be mapped properly.  More specifically I would like to know:

1.      Are you representing the sewer lateral as one segment or two segments (building to property line and property line to main)? We have been splitting the lateral at the property line because we used to only be responsible for the section from the ROW to the main. However, as I see it this poses a tricky naming convention and I am debating whether we should have just one lateral per customer.

2.      What naming convention do you use for your laterals? Do you rely on the Attribute Assistant add-on to manage your IDs?

Thank you!

    Alina Taus, GISP
    GIS Manager
    Greater Augusta Utility District