Dear Colleagues,

As you may know, Larry McHugh served as the Chair of the UConn Board of Trustees for eight years, from 2009 to 2017. These were easily among the most consequential years in the life of the university, filled with both successes and challenges.

Larry’s steady leadership of the board and deep commitment to UConn left an incredibly positive and lasting mark on the board and the university. I know many faculty and staff who interacted with him and came to know him very well during his time as chair.

In recognition of his contributions to UConn over the years, the board voted to rename Laurel Hall on the Storrs campus “Lawrence D. McHugh Hall.” You may have already noted the new sign on Fairfield Way.

I write to invite you to join us on the quad behind the Student Union at 11:30am tomorrow, Wednesday, May 2, when we will hold an outdoor event to celebrate Larry and mark the recent renaming of this academic building in his honor.

No formal RSVP or registration is needed. And the weather is expected to be perfect.

I hope to see you there,

Sincerely,

Susan Herbst